Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

{day 17} what we are reading

the girls committed to reading 20 books while we are up here. they are one track to meet their goal...

what we are reading

K: Mr. and Mrs. Bunny – Detectives Extrordinaire!
by Mrs. Bunny
translated from the Rabbit by Polly Horvath
illustrated by Sophie Blackall


K is a huge Ivy and Bean fan and so it was the illustrations by Blackall that first caught our eye. The book tells the story of 10 year old Madeline, living on a Northern Gulf Island (connection!) and her search for her kidnapped hippy islander parents by evil foxes. I don’t want to tell too much. I highly recommend this one! I read this one aloud to K. It was so good that we had trouble putting it down. Everyone in the cottage wanted to hear what would happen next.

what we are reading

E: The Whole Truth
by Kit Pearston


The story of two sisters who journey from Manitoba to a small island between Vancouver and Victoria to live with their grandmother. (How could we resist?) There is a mysterious secret as well. E really enjoyed this book. It is next on my “to read” list.

what we're reading

Me: The Age of Miracles
by Karen Thompson Walker


I’ve been wanted to pick this up ever since I heard an interview with – on NPR. I’ve just began, and am enjoying it so far.

what we are reading

I’ve also had my head in Pure Green magazine, which I picked up at Munro’s in Victoria (possibly my favourtie bookshop of all time?) It is lovely.

what we are reading

Free-Range Chicken Gardens
by Jessi Bloom
photos by Kate Baldwin


I found this there as well. We will come home to two newly rescued hens (you are a good man D) and with the final touched on our garden looming this looked like perfect inspiration. (The girls are intrigued by the section on training your chickens. Ours all come when summoned, but no tricks. Yet.)

2 comments:

rebecca said...

he he. chicken training. just yesterday, lake and i were enjoying getting our most tame girl, billie, to jump for grapes. she couldn't miss!

BunkleLife said...

I've heard chickens can play a mean game of tic tac toe...seriously.
xoj