Pages

Thursday, March 08, 2007

since you asked...

the lunchbag is based on some written instructions in a magazine. sorry i don't remember where exactly. I have been using oil cloth ordered from sewmamasew for these. (they came on recommendation from sally, so i knew it would be good!)

i made a cardboard template that is a little ragged but still works. the bag is a very simple 6 pieces:
back / flap - about 61/2 by 14 inches
front - 6 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches
sides - 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches
bottom - 6 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches
it is stitched wrong sides together. starting with attaching the front and back pieces to the bottom piece; then the sides to the bottom; then joining these to the front and back, starting the stitching at the bottom.
i put a strip of velcro (hook) horizontal, about 2 inches from the top edge of the back piece, on the wrong side
i put two shorter strips (loop) vertically on the right side of the front piece (to attach to the piece on the back, which folds over to the front when the bag is "closed".
i also add a little pocket to one side, which you can kind of see here with the bag on the far left. i also add a strap at the top.

it is not insultated. though i have been investigating how this might be done. i also have some pieces cut in a canvas that i have been meaning to try. (i am all for machine washable lunchbags and haven't been brave enough to run the oilcloth ones through the machine.)

does this make sense? i hope so. please feel free to email me if it doesn't. i tend to cut the oil cloth with my rotary cutter and just piece it together as i go along, to make sure it will fit.

thanks for your interest.

and happy international women's day. to all the women in my life (that includes you!) thank you.

bloom

16 comments:

BunkleLife said...

Happy IWD to you too lovely! DOXA is screening a documentary (Finding Dawn) to mark it. Unfortunately it is a pretty timely film in Vancouver. On to happier things though - what a great fabric site, still love those monkies!
xoj

this single spark said...

Happy Women's Day back! I'm celebrating by getting an education. That's right... another long night in front of the computer.

xo

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your pattern/instructions! this house could use some bags like that!

Anonymous said...

thank you! my boy will need a lunch box next year and i've been trying to decide what to do about that.

The Bruin Boy Bunch said...

As I sit at your kitchen table with this moment of silence.... I realize that my mom skills have gone down hill... might have to do this again (Bubbie practice). Oh, and happy IWD right back at you.

your little bugg won't stop talking

Anonymous said...

Happy day to you!

I should try some of these bags. We have a set of insulated bags that have taken quite a beating -- we need new ones! Thanks for sharing the how-tos.

Anonymous said...

Found you by way of Sew Mama Sew... Thanks for sharing your pattern. These lunch bags are a great idea - they are now on my crafty to do list :)

Beth said...

Thanks so much for this. I've been itching to make some since doing the feature and had enough scraps of the red flourish to make a couple for Mother's Day presents. I so appreciate your tips + dimensions. Very fun!

Anonymous said...

I hope I don't offend, I came across your post looking to make my on cloth lunchbags. Oilcloth made today is actual made with vinyl, Polyvinyl chloride, commonly known as "PVC" or "vinyl," is one of the most common synthetic materials used to make plastic. The problem is that vinyl plastic, used extensively in building construction and packaging, creates global impacts from relentless toxic pollution that damages the health of all natural ecosystems.

Ultimately, vinyl is the worst plastic for human health and the environment. Not really a great option for kids lunch bags, it's too bad you can't find real oilcloth of days ago, which was linseed oil, a safer alternative. I'd love to hear if anyone has an alternative to making the bag waterproof, but safe.

Tracy said...

no offense taken!

since learning of PVCs dangers some time ago, i have changed to recycled denim for my kids' lunchbags. not as easy to wipe off as the "oilcloth" but with a few in rotation, it works!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try the oil cloth to see how it works. I have made bags before but never have used the oil
cloth. Looks like it would be a good idea to make one for my lunch that I take to work.........sharonk

rhino said...

you can make some corn bags (muslin decorative fabric and dried whole kernal corn) refridgerate the corn bag and place on the bottom of the lunch bag. will keep food cold or microwave and will keep food warm :)
be sure to make it have a removable cover so you can throw the cover in the wash.

tess said...

hey ladies, i too have been on a quest to find a food safe plastic. i made reusable lunch bags with PEVA as my lining. you can get PEVA as shower curtains at IKEA and i even found one at Target. they hold up really well, i run them through the dishwasher (top rack) on fridays.

Anonymous said...

To make your own oilcloth is brush on the linseed oil and let dry between many coats. That's it. You can dip it in the linseed oil if you want it waterproof. Many recommend using a cotton duck or similar heavy weight material. I haven't tried lightweight but want to for the lunchsacks. It biodegrades in a landfill - pvc coated "oilcloth" does not.

Wendy said...

Hi there! I realize this post is super old :) But I came across your site via Sew Mama Sew. I used your pattern to make a lunch bag for my husband. I used a cotton sateen weight cloth for both the outside and a lining. I also included a layer each of quilt batting (insulation) and ironed plastic bags (waterproofing). The bag is soft and puffy, but I think it will do the job quite well. Thanks very much for sharing your dimensions. After a failed attempt at making my own pattern, I was on a quest to find a great pattern!

sewinggranny said...

You should not have to run oil cloth through the washer when it was used for table clothes you would wash them with soap and water like you do a table. I think as long as you so not run them through the dryer let them air dry you could wash them.
Thank you for the tutorial
Beckie n Kansas