Pages

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Mmmmmm

On our visit to the farm John and I overheard a conversation around spaghetti squash being substituted for noodles in lasagna. We asked for details. When John mentioned to me he tried it and it was a huge hit with the kids, I thought I would too...

spaghetti squash lasagna


we call it:

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Mmmmm
(based on Mark Bittman's Vegetable Lasagna from How To Cook Everything Vegetarian)

makes 6-8 servings

1 cooked spaghetti squash skin removed
3 cups cooked greens (we used our beet greens and another bunch I'm not what they were!) squeezed and chopped
2 tbs olive oil
2 cups tomato sauce (I simply sauteed an onion with some garlic then added tomato and spices and cooked down)
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
(I mixed all the cheese together and added a tiny bit of nutmeg)
a few dried lasagna noodles for the bottom (I used the precooked TJs ones)

Preheat the oven to 400. Grease rectangular baking dish with olive oil, add a dollop of tomato sauce and spread it around. Put a layer of noodles down (John suggested this was helpful in provided a base when serving); top with a layer of tomato sauce, a layer of greens, a layer of cheeses and a layer of spaghetti squash - repeat - finishing with tomato sauce, greens and cheese.

Bake for 45 minutes. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. I am curious how this would freeze? None left to try this time, but next I will make extra, as it was a hit!

1 comment:

Jen Vela said...

I really like this idea! I have a ton of leftover spaghetti squash that I cooked off on Friday, and this will be perfect for dinner Monday night. I'll need to pick up some cheese!