Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Eating my way from Christmas to New Years

My dad always said "It isn't what you eat between Christmas and New Years - it's what you eat between New Years and Christmas."

Our family Christmas was always celebrated with the inclusion of so many delicious things to eat. My mom would prepare baking through the year that would be put aside until the holidays began. There was fruit cake in its brown paper wrapping, whipped shortbread with red cherries, nanaimo bars, gingerbread people with raisin eyes and buttons and piped trousers and pinafores, thimble cookes and apricot swirls. And of course my dad's favorite - and now my husband's - butter tarts.

There was the traditional Christmas day turkey feast with all the fixings - rice stuffing, brussel sprouts, tomato aspic, riced potatoes, cranberries, carrots and parsnips and of course a flaming pudding for dessert. And on New Years my mom would present her tortiere (a French Canadian meat pie) - the recipe for which was passed on to her by a woman my dad had working for him many years ago. I still haven't tasted pastry better than my mom's.

This year I have only managed the gingerbread people, whipped shortbread (which failed miserably) and the butter tarts.

I never appreciated the years of practice - coupled with a very talented touch - that pulled off these holiday culinary delights. Mom, I am in awe!

Roll 165 - 17

No comments: