Pages

Monday, July 31, 2006

her and billybob

when i reconnected with a dear friend from my undergraduate years i was so excited to see she had stayed in the art game. we reconnected by chance. i don't remember exactly how. but i was doing some work in NY and she was living in Brooklyn. we met for dinner at a deli and caught-up. i had recently moved to L.A. and we vowed to keep in touch.

life happened and our correspondence had its ebbs and flows but we have managed to keep each other up-to-date on most things. marriage, babies, new partners, marathons, jobs, new homes, exhibitions, travel ... it feels good.

when i saw her last year on a trip to NY it was like no time had passed at all. well that isn't entirely true. i did have a 3 year old and 10 month old with me. and she was now teaching at Pace. but it was easy to be together. and so nice. we had met when we were just 17. just starting out. our beginning was the same but we had taken such different paths. and we had both found places we were really happy to be in.

i was so pleased and proud to hear she was written up in the NY Times over the weekend. i love her work. not just because i love her. but because it makes me smile. (me and billybob is one of my favorites. and this too. oh i could go on.) and i am endlessly impressed by the level of production. and her wry view of popular culture.

congratulations jillian. i am not surprised! but oh so proud!

2 comments:

hannah said...

how wonderful for your friend! that video is so great, helped me come to terms with my secret crush on billy...

Tracy said...

me too hannah. me too!!