Pages

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Corners of Our Home 17

For the birds...

bird.house.corner

This is a reissue of a late 1950's design. The original California potter (whose name escapes me right now) was hired to make these for a wonderful little mid-century modern shop in Silverlake called TEN10. The design is so great. I failed to get it in this shot, but the piece of earthenware punched out for the door is reused on the cord as a decorative element. It is handthrown, and unglazed, and I love its rough surface and organic quality. The shop-owner tried to convince me that they look best hung in clusters - but I am happy with my one. As for the birds - they seem to like it - darting in and out - but never nest in it. Instead, they nest (and have every year without fail, since we moved into the house) in the corner behind it. So we put seed in the house now and use it as a feeder that the squirrels can't reach...

a little digging - I believe that it was designed by Stan Bitters in the late 50s for the Hans Sumpf Co. of Madera, CA (now closed)...


More corners here.

5 comments:

hannah said...

love this.

Anonymous said...

Coolest birdhouse I've ever seen.

For the stylish birds...

molly | mommycoddle.com said...

that is such a cool birdhouse...i'm storing that idea away in my brain for the next time i do some pottery work...i love it!!

Ali said...

What a beautiful object.

Tracy said...

thanks!

i am so jealous of your aptitude with pottery molly! it is something i would love to do... can't wait to see what more you create!!